NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith says the upcoming offseason will likely be virtual again due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“We’re planning for an offseason that looks a lot like (the 2020) offseason,” Smith said, according to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero.
Smith added he’s pessimistic about the widespread vaccinations of players by August and described the situation as not having a “rosy outlook.”
The NFL barred in-person minicamps and OTAs last year as teams held virtual sessions instead. Players then reported for training camp but with new measures implemented, such as daily testing.
The players union and league negotiated all the previous offseason adjustments, and the expectation is that will happen again. Smith said the situation would likely get assessed sometime in March or April.
The NFL has already made an alteration to the 2021 offseason by changing the combine’s format. Workouts will take place at individual pro days on college campuses, while interviews will be conducted virtually.
Limiting covid shots is just the beginning. Childhood vaccines may be next. The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday announced major restrictions to the coronavirus…
1,800 lives lost and hundreds of thousands displaced. But the storm left behind more than physical damage. It exposed the lasting psychological toll disasters can…
Former Cleveland Fed President Loretta Mester joins ‘Squawk Box’ to discuss the fallout from President Trump’s attempted firing of Fed Governor Lisa Cook, the importance…