Founder and CEO, Envirosell Inc.; Bestselling Author, Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping
Travels from: New York • Fee Code: D
Fee may vary by location
Paco Underhill is Founder and CEO of Envirosell Inc., a global research and consulting firm specializing in studying retail and service environments. It has become the principal testing agent for prototype stores and bank branches across the globe as Paco and his colleagues have spent more than 25 years conducting research on the interaction between people, places, services and things. Paco helps companies understand what motivates the behaviors of today's consumer. His research shows how today's retail world is ruled by factors such as gender, "trial and touch" and human anatomy. His first book, Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping, has been published in 27 languages and has sold more copies than any other retail book in history.
- Science of Shopping 101: How Store Planning Affects Store Performance
- Signage and Merchandising: Making In-Store Communications Work
- The Future of Category Management
- The State of Retail and Industry Trends
ABOUT Paco Underhill (+/-)
A Retail Scientist Providing Real Results
Since founding Envirosell in 1986, Paco Underhill has established its reputation as an innovator in commercial research and as an advocate for consumer friendly shopping environments and packaging. Combining traditional market research techniques, anthropological observation methodologies and videotaping, Envirosell has not only consulted for merchants around the world but also many Fortune 100 companies including Microsoft, Hewlett Packard, Kraft, Unilever, adidas, Nokia and Coca-Cola.
A Deeper Understanding of Our Consumer Culture
Paco is a regular contributor to NPR and BBC Radio and his columns and editorials have appeared in the New York Times, Money Magazine, and the Wall Street Journal. His latest book, Why We Buy: Updated and Revised for the Internet, the Global Consumer and Beyond, is a completely updated edition of the global bestseller. Paco is currently working on a new book -- the working title is The Female Factor: The Worship of Goddesses-in which he reviews how the changing status of women is affecting the physical world we live in.
SPEAKER TOPIC DESCRIPTIONS (+/-)
This seminar walks through the store from a shopper perspective. Underhill fills in the missing pieces between drawing board and retail trenches. You'll take away the information you need to build a better store.
- First Impressions: Where does your store start?
- Dissecting the "decompression zone": Understanding both the mental and physical priorities of an entering customer
- Understanding Customer Needs Knowing All Sides of Your Customer
- Sales Associates- Your Front Line
- Store Layout
- How do I NEED to shop your store?
- Unplanned Shopping
- The Cashwrap Experience
This seminar focuses on the many incarnations of signs. Underhill covers who uses what signs where, for how long, and why. You'll walk away with the knowledge to use signs as selling tools.
- Establishing the Context: Understanding the nature of shopper behavior in the purchase environment
- Elements of Execution
- Design Considerations
- Examples of Best and Worst Practices
This category management focused seminar starts from a bird's eye view of your aisle and zooms into the details that make a shelf work. From this seminar, you'll learn how to turn the confines of your environment into success.
- Consumer Trends
- The Psychology of Shopping
- The interface between your category and the store
- Understanding Customer Needs
- Product Placement
- Packaging, Fixturing and Display
- Providing Product Information
The world grows and changes every day; so does the State of Retail. The flexibility to adapt to tomorrow's changes to comes from a solid footing today. Underhill shares his insights to help you get that footing.
- The State of Merchants
- Leadership Issues
- Retail Culture
- Changing Consumers
- Key populations: Women/Men/Kids/Seniors
- Modern Day Budgets
- Fragrance Shopping Behavior
- In-Store Communication
- 21st Century Retail Tools